Sometimes mistaken for vision, a mission is a set of activities or plans that help you achieve your vision. It guides your daily decisions as you pursue your aspirations.
Simply put, a vision is your ‘WHAT‘ in life. Mission is your ‘HOW‘.
A vision statement focuses on tomorrow and what you will ultimately become. A mission statement focuses on today and how you will achieve it.
These two give directions, clarity and focus, but in different timelines: one is for tomorrow, the other is for now.
What are the benefits of having a mission statement?
1. A mission statement guides the decisions of a company.
Why are you providing that particular service? Why do you sell those products, but not other ones? These are questions that can be answered by a mission statement.
2. It gives focus & increased productivity.
Having a Mission statement allows you & your team to channel your energies & creativity into a single & concentrated direction.
3. It helps attract appropriate talent.
Communicating your mission to candidates make the hiring process easy as some will select themselves out because they know the organisation would not be a good fit for them.
So, while drafting a mission statement for yourself, career or your business, remember the following:
1. A mission statement is a formal summary of the aims and values of a company, organisation, or individual.
2. Your mission should be present-focused.
3. It should include daily activities and plans on how you’ll ultimately make your dreams come true.
4. It should be well-articulated with clear and unambiguous words.
5. It should contain key words that would provide clarity and focus. These words should tell what you do and why they do it.
At The Work-Life Organisation Global Ltd, our key words are; EMPOWER, DELIVER and CREATE.
Our Mission Statement:
To EMPOWER individuals to pursue what truly matters at work, home and in their communities. To organizations, to DELIVER state-of-the-art work-life programs in CREATING great place to work.
Do you have a well written mission statement for yourself and/or business?
Do you need someone to help you craft or align your daily activities/tasks that will ultimately help you achieve your vision? Do send us an email to [email protected] or book a free 30 minutes consultation at https://theworklife.org/book-an-appointment/